Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fiji day 5


This mornings sunrise was really different than yesterday. There were almost no clouds so the color changes were not quite as dramatic, but still really pretty. Now we are getting ready to roll out. I saw the box of sandwiches for the day and there have got to be like 80 sandwiches. Got Morgan’s and my gopro batteries all charged up and ready to go. We went out to Scuba Bula Fiji to go scuba diving it was sooooo tight. Had a blast, we did a training and orientation in the pool, then after that we went out on the boat to head out to our dive site. On the way there I used the clamp mount for my GoPro to video us going out to the dive site. I think it turned out really well. They split us up into two groups. While one was diving the other group was snorkeling, my group went first we went down a rope until we got to the bottom, had to repressurize several times to maintain equilibrium. But we got to the bottom and began exploring, I followed my guide and he would show me where to swim and things to look for and video with my gopro. Some of the highlights were a stingray, a giant clam, an anenome, some fish hiding in coral, a moray eel, there was a white tip shark we saw when we got there, but not while diving. Some saw it but I did not and there was a sea turtle that I only saw as it was swimming away. I am not sure what the footage would be like on that. Then after that we came up, it was about 40min under water then we took off our tanks ate some fresh pineapple and coconut , some people drank tea, then the other group started diving and we started snorkeling. It was pretty fun, scuba was definitely way better, but I swam down into a kind of underwater tunnel about 15 feet down swam about 25 feet across and then back up. It was really exciting. The other group saw some baracuddas on their dive which is super cool. Then on the way back I set up my gopro clamped to the boat to video us going back and as I turned on the camera a piece of the go pro mount broke popped it loose and down into the ocean it went… I may or may not have had a panic attack/ had a decent outburst of frustration. I don’t get worked up much, but I was pretty upset about it. They told me that it was about 20 meters deep in that place, but they would try and look for it. 8min and 16sec later (GoPro time) I had my go pro back in my hand. It was amazing, we were moving pretty fast when it fell off and only had a vague idea of where it fell when we circled back, but scuba sam had no problem finding it. As Adam Donyes said “you went from a three year old having a tantrum to a 5 year old on Christmas morning.” The joy in that moment was AMAZING. It was only 8 min and 16 sec in the water. I cant believe they found it that fast, nothing short of a miricle as far as I am concerned. We then returned, I bought him a drink and gave him some money to say thank you. We then returned to the farm and got dressed up in our sulus and bula shirts to go to a village acceptance ceremony. We gave them a root, which is traditional and they met us showed us around the village and gave us permission to climb up the mountain. We have not met the chief yet because he was busy, but it was really neat. Now we have returned and are headed to dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment